http://johannemoorephotography.smugmug.com

Monday, November 7, 2011

Another Celebrity Makes a Mockery of Marriage

Kim Kardashian Files for Divorce from Kris Humphries

Photo by Kalumba2009
After a whirlwind romance, an extravagant and gaudy engagement ring (20+ carats!), and an ostentatious to the point of vulgar reality show wedding, Kim Kardashian files for divorce.  She divorces her husband only 72 days after exchanging vows.  VOWS.  Apparently the woman doesn't know the meaning of that word.  She's just another one of a long line of celebrities who go through marriages as if they're trying on pair after pair of shoes to see which look and fit better.

Marriage and relationships take a lot of work.  It isn't a "fairy tale" nor is it guaranteed to have a happy ending.  It may take going to counseling, doing a trial separation, talking, compromising.  I'm not so old-fashioned that I don't believe in divorce.  However, I do believe that it is the last alternative and only used if you've exhausted all other possibilities.  Obviously, 72 days is not enough to come to that conclusion.

I just find it disappointing that these celebrities can get married and divorced on a whim and no one is protesting that they are devaluing the meaning of marriage.  On the other hand I have friends and family who may want to enter into this union to create a family of their own, to show their love for one another, but can't because a portion of the U.S. population considers it a sin and have elected politicians who take their religion into account when making decisions about our city, state, and country.  I believe in love at first sight, falling in love, and the potential for happily ever after (I am a romantic after all, even if it's a practical type of romantic).  But my head is not in the clouds and my feet are planted firmly in the ground.  My husband and I know that we have to constantly strive for peace in our household.  Our alpha personalities clash at times but I just read something recently that we've learned, through all our arguing, to apply to our marriage: "Apologizing does not always mean that you're wrong and the other person is right.  It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego."

No comments:

Post a Comment